Caterpillar – TASER
A transformation of Caterpillar UK to zero emissions producer
A key objective for this project was to trigger innovative business transformation across Caterpillar UK. As a diesel machine manufacturer, there was a lot to learn regarding construction equipment electrification – all for the benefit of a future generation of heavy duty vehicles emitting zero CO2 emissions. Developing a fully electric powertrain for the demanding environmental conditions and duty cycles (required by the off-highway machinery market) is technically demanding and requires significant innovation as most components that are available, and developed for the passenger car market, are not suitable.
Electrifying construction machinery
- Combining Caterpillar’s deep understanding of construction equipment and systems integration with innovative electrification systems produced by AVID Technology*
- Delivering the first electrified Caterpillar vehicle, producing zero-emissions and low noise and first electrified Caterpillar – the learnings from this will benefit future model development
- This innovative project will deliver the first machine of this type to go beyond basic testbed level, bringing a fully electrified compact machine from R&D through to a high level TRL/MRL
- AVID* will deliver a highly integrated electric powertrain, utilising high torque dense axial flux electric motors and integrated power electronics
- Novel electrical architecture is being utilised and developed to the demanding standards required in the off-highway market
- Several new technologies will be developed that could form a platform for other heavy-duty vehicles
- Total project value £6.6 million, with £3.3 million funded through the APC
*AVID Technology is now Turntide Technologies.