YASA Motors – EV-LIFT
Boosting luxury and high-performance battery electric vehicles
- The EV-LIFT project is a collaborative APC project between YASA, Lotus Cars and Coventry University.
- Development of a best-in-class electrical drive unit (EDU) for next-generation battery electric vehicles (BEVs)
- The Project will develop advanced motor, SiC inverter, and gearbox technology, enabling significant light-weighting and efficiency improvements BEVs
- This EDU will be utilised by Lotus in a number of its upcoming high-performance BEVs, due to start production in 2023
- The EDU will also enable independent traction of the rear wheel, offering new opportunities for improved handling and performance for next generation BEVs.
- Total project value £22.8 million, with £11.4 million funded through the APC
- YASA Ltd
- Lotus Cars Ltd
- Coventry University
Boosting Electrical drive unit capability in the UK
Overall, the project aims to keep the UK at the forefront of electric vehicle development, and will have a positive impact on the UK, the partners and their supply chains. Through this project, Coventry University will research the possibility to increase safety using the torque vectoring capability to reduce the hazard of certain failure modes, such as tyre blow-outs on motorways – providing wider exploitation opportunities for autonomous vehicles with this type of architecture.