LOW CARBON VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY COMPETITION WINNERS ANNOUNCED AT LCV 2016
The winners securing a share of a recent £2.45 million investment for low carbon development and demonstration projects in the niche vehicle sector were announced today (14th September) at LCV 2016.
Over 50 businesses have been successful in receiving grant funding from the Niche Vehicle Network run competitions, supported by Innovate UK, the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) and the Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC).
Ian Constance, CEO at the Advanced Propulsion Centre, presents cheque to SME & Supply Chain
Winning projects include:
- The development of a prototype hydrogen fuel-cell range-extended electric double-decker bus
- The investigation of the technical and commercial feasibility of a rapid and cost effective composite processing technology for niche vehicle applications
- The development of novel carbon/flax hybrid composite components to reduce the weight, cost, NVH and environmental impact of vehicle body structures
- The creation of a proof of concept fuel efficient solution for small low cost leisure vehicles
- The development and testing of a novel structured baffle exhaust system for niche military vehicles
- A proof of concept modular hybrid electric drivetrain specifically for adoption within the niche vehicle sector
- The demonstration of a prototype turbo-expansion Air Charge Cooling system
- The design, manufacture and demonstration of an affordable composite chassis
- The creation of a “smart” low carbon powertrain and connected vehicle technology
- The development of hybrid material assemblies for lightweight chassis
- The manufacture of a hybrid driveline system for vehicles with manual gearboxes
All of the projects will receive 50% of their project costs, and cover the balance of the project costs with their own resources. All of the projects are collaborative between at least three UK-based companies active in the low carbon vehicle technology sector.
Further details of all successful projects can be found on the Niche Vehicle Network website at www.nichevehiclenetwork.co.uk
The Niche Vehicle Network provides innovation and networking support to UK low volume vehicle manufacturers, such as premium brand sports cars and specialist commercial vehicles, and their suppliers.
Up to £1.3 million was available for early market low carbon technology demonstration projects through the Niche Vehicle R&D Competition and a further £1 .15 million supporting £2.35 million of project investment to take existing projects from demonstration to production readiness through the SME & Supply Chain Development Competition.
Announcing the winners at LCV 2016 today, Simon Edmonds, Director of Manufacturing and Materials at Innovate UK, said: “Our continued support for the Niche Vehicle Networks’ R&D programme with our partners at OLEV and the Advanced Propulsion Centre is an important part of our overall programme of activity for low carbon vehicles.
“Congratulations to this year’s winning companies, many of whom are showcasing their technologies at this year’s LCV 2016.”
Ian Constance, Chief Executive Officer at the Advanced Propulsion Centre, announcing the winners for the SME & Supply Chain Development competition, added: “The UK has exceptional capabilities in our SME’s and it is important that we continue to support them. This funding can offer a helping hand towards commercialisation for many SME’s, who without it may struggle to make their innovative ideas a reality.”
Programme Manager for the Network, Rob Anderson, said: “We are excited about this round of funded projects and would like to thank our sponsors Innovate UK, OLEV and APC who continue to provide funding for our projects and networking activities. Our R&D programme plays unique role in supporting UK SME-led vehicle innovation, which results in transformative technologies that can be applied to both the niche and volume vehicle sectors.”